Internacionales

Nursing Assistant succumbs to COVID-19

Victor Gill
Norwegian Cruise Line en Florida suspendió los viajes hasta mayo

“If this young woman’s life is not to be in vain, her death must share two lessons with the rest of this country – that COVID is no respecter of age of persons and all of us must take it seriously; and that we in this country owe a responsibility to each other, to our communities, to our families to be more thoughtful, caring and protective of each other and to follow the health and safety protocols, or we will be placing not only ourselves, but someone else in harm’s way.”

Minister Bostic also offered his deepest condolences to the grieving family of an 80-year-old Trinidadian national, the 24th COVID-19 death in Barbados. The CARICOM national passed away on February 13, at the Harrison Point Isolation Facility where she was a patient. As with many previous cases, the elderly lady suffered comorbidities. (TL)

Search form Search Main menu Home News Business Sports Columns Contact Us E-Paper Minister of Health and Wellness, Lt. Col. Jeffrey Bostic.

Nursing Assistant succumbs to COVID-19 Tue, 02/16/2021 – 5:20am Health Minister expresses condolences A Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) Nursing Assistant has died as a result of COVID-19.

She passed away at the Harrison Point Isolation Facility on Sunday, where she had been a patient for nine days.

She is the first healthcare worker to die from the coronavirus disease in Barbados, Minister of Health and Wellness Lt. Col. Jeffrey Bostic confirmed yesterday, as he joined with members of the health fraternity and nurses in particular, to mourn her passing.

While not disclosing her name, he described her as an excellent nurse who loved her job, loved caring for people, and was well-loved and well-respected.

“As the first healthcare worker to die from COVID-19 in Barbados, her death shook the nursing and healthcare communities,” he said, also extending condolences to her family.

Minister Bostic said that every day, healthcare workers in Barbados and across the world go into battle and put themselves at risk in an attempt to keep societies safe.

He therefore stressed, “They are our first line of defence, and we owe them an immense debt of gratitude for their service and sacrifice. In this daily fight that is waged across the globe, several healthcare workers have contracted COVID-19 while trying to save others.”

Prior to Sunday, according to the Health Minister, Barbados had so far been spared the loss of any of its healthcare workers, and the cases of COVID among the QEH staff have largely been the result of community spread and not direct patient-to-caregiver contact.

“If this young woman’s life is not to be in vain, her death must share two lessons with the rest of this country – that COVID is no respecter of age of persons and all of us must take it seriously; and that we in this country owe a responsibility to each other, to our communities, to our families to be more thoughtful, caring and protective of each other and to follow the health and safety protocols, or we will be placing not only ourselves, but someone else in harm’s way.”

Minister Bostic also offered his deepest condolences to the grieving family of an 80-year-old Trinidadian national, the 24th COVID-19 death in Barbados. The CARICOM national passed away on February 13, at the Harrison Point Isolation Facility where she was a patient. As with many previous cases, the elderly lady suffered comorbidities. (TL)