Internacionales

Mainland China reports 55 new coronavirus cases, with first local transmission in 3 days

The Great, la serie sobre Catalina la Grande que debes tener en la mira

Hubei province, a region of some 60 million people where the virus first appeared late last year, reported zero new cases on Thursday – a day after lifting a lockdown and reopening its borders as the epidemic there eased

BEIJING (REUTERS) – Mainland China reported its first locally transmitted coronavirus infection in three days  and 54 new imported cases, as Beijing ordered airlines to sharply cut international flights fearing travellers could reignite the coronavirus outbreak. 

The 55 new cases reported on Thursday (March 26) was down from 67 a day earlier, the National Health Commission said in a statement on Friday.

There are now 81,340 confirmed cases in mainland China.

The death toll stands at 3,292 with five new deaths.

Imported coronavirus cases, mostly Chinese nationals returning home, now pose the biggest concern for authorities.

Shanghai reported the most new imported cases with 17, followed by 12 in Guangdong and four each in capital Beijing and nearby Tianjin.

Shanghai is currently treating a total of 125 patients who entered the city from overseas, including 46 arriving from Britain and 27 from the United States.

Hubei province, a region of some 60 million people where the virus first appeared late last year, reported zero new cases on Thursday – a day after lifting a lockdown and reopening its borders as the epidemic there eased.

China on Thursday ordered local airlines to maintain only one route to any country and limit flights per such routes to one per week, effective March 29.

Foreign airlines have also been ordered to cut routes to China to one and limit flights to one per week, although many had already stopped flying to China.

The Civil Aviation Administration of China said in a statement issued late on Thursday that around 90 per cent of current international flights into the country would be suspended, reducing arriving passengers to 5,000 a day, from 25,000.

China will temporarily suspend the entry of foreigners with valid Chinese visas and residence permits starting on March 28, as an interim measure, the Foreign Ministry said on Thursday.

Before the new round of restrictions were implemented, an average of around 20,000 travellers were entering China every day via international flights, about 10 per cent of whom were foreign nationals, an official from China’s National Immigration Administration told a briefing last week.

  Related Stories:  Related Story Coronavirus: Singapore reports 52 new cases, 28 from overseas Related Story Coronavirus: Man who allegedly breached stay-home notice for bak kut teh likely to be charged Related Story Coronavirus: Over 3,500 people in Johor under stricter control measures due to high infections Related Story Coronavirus: Spanish doctors are forced to choose who to let die Related Story Coronavirus: Malls must limit shoppers on premises, disperse groups of more than 10 Related Story Coronavirus: Those who flout five-day sick leave may be jailed or fined Related Story Rumours that Government is about to raise Dorscon alert level to red are false: S. Iswaran Related Story S’pore to close all entertainment venues, gatherings outside work and school limited to 10 people Related Story Inside Italy’s coronavirus hospital Related Story Coronavirus: How South Korea flattened the curve Have a question on the coronavirus outbreak? E-mail us at [email protected]

To get alerts and updates, follow us on Telegram.